Job Stress Secretsby Catherine Pulsifer, © 2008
When you consider you spend most of your waking day at work, if you are unhappy for 40 hours a week, your overall happiness in life is not good. And, for many people, if they are stressed by their work, they also have trouble sleeping which just compounds their stress levels.
So, what can you do to relieve the stress in your workplace?
Here are some ways, or what some people may call secrets, to reduce the stress in your job:
- take breaks, they don't have to be long breaks. Just getting up and walking for a couple of minutes can help you refocus on the issue you are dealing with. Something as simple as getting a drink of water may be the relief that you need.
- Look at how you are organizing your day, and your own energy levels. If you are a morning person, then work on the more difficult tasks in the morning.
- One of the best ways to relieve stress is by walking or exercising. If you are able to enroll in an exercise class for part of your lunch hour then do so; if this is not feasible, then at least take a 5 minute brisk walk. You will be amazed at the difference it will make.
- Laughter is one of the best stress relievers. If you are feeling stressed, think about a time that was funny. Share it with a coworker, just have a good laugh for a few minutes. Or, on your break or at lunch, read a humorous book or funny quotes that will make you laugh or at the very least smile.
- Try and pinpoint the reason for your stress - is it you don't understand how to do something - if so, be honest and ask for help. Is it because of too much work and interruptions - if so, come in early or stay late one night; you will be amazed at what you can accomplish. Is it because of job security - if so then look at your options, what other choices do you have for employment, or what skills do you need to develop. Identify them and take action.
These are just a few ways in which you can handle workplace stress. The most important secret when dealing with stress is taking action. Rather than fretting and worrying, take action to address the thing or issue that is causing you stress.
Poems of Encouragement
More Positive Thoughts
Short Poems | All Poems | Quotes | About Us | Contact Us |